Timing of the all-new 7 Series’ launch in Malaysia also happily coincides with the BMW Group’s centenary year – an occasion which local subsidiary BMW Group Malaysia plans to mark with celebratory events at various customer touchpoints across the country.
Mr. Han Sang Yun, Managing Director and CEO of BMW Group Malaysia said, “We are kickstarting our celebrations this year by introducing our first car for the year 2016, the all-new BMW 7 Series with a special 100th Year Anniversary Celebrations pricing which is only limited to the cars registered within the year.”
The said 100th anniversary pricing is a RM100,000 reduction to the vehicle’s on-the-road prices.
Built on an all-new modular longitudinal engine platform incorporating many trickle down technologies from the i division, the all-new 7 Series is available to Malaysian customers in two petrol-powered long wheelbase variants (G12):
- 730Li: RM698,800 (100th anniversary celebration pricing – RM598,800)
- 740Li: RM888,800 (100th anniversary celebration pricing – RM788,800)
Prices quoted are on-the-road excluding insurance, but inclusive of a five-year unlimited mileage warranty, five-year free maintenance, and BMW’s Tyre Warranty Programme.
For the first time ever, BMW is allowing a four-cylinder engine to drive the 7 Series. Both the 730Li and 740Li are powered by BMW’s latest generation modular engines sized to displace 500cc per cylinder. The consumer’s choice is between a 2.0-litre four-cylinder and 3.0-litre six-cylinder, both boosted by twin-scroll turbocharging and fitted with ZF’s 8HP 8-speed automatic transmission as standard.
- 730Li: 2.0-litre, 4-cyl (B48) – 258hp, 400Nm, 0-100km/h – 6.3 secs, 5.8 l/100km, 134 g/km CO2
- 740Li: 3.0-litre, 6-cyl (B58) – 326hp, 450Nm, 0-100km/h – 5.5 secs, 6.6 l/100km, 154 g/km CO2
Neither engines are carryover units from the outgoing F01 model. Despite making identical outputs from the same displacement, the current 740Li’s straight six manages to be 16% more efficient than the predecessor engine. It is, in fact, marginally more efficient than even the outgoing ActiveHybrid 7, which it also outpaces to 100km/h.
The 730Li enjoys even starker improvement in performance. Compared to the naturally-aspirated 3.0-litre engine of the previous 730Li, the new 2.0-litre unit access to 29% more torque yet is 33% more efficient.
In a determined bid to usurp the S-Class’ supremacy in the segment, BMW has armed the G11/G12 7 Series to the teeth with a wide range of technology and innovations.
- Carbon Core body: A mix of carbon fibre reinforced plastic, aluminium, high-strength steel, and magnesium provide the G11 an exceptionally tough yet light weight superstructure.
- Executive Drive Pro (740Li only): Electromechanically-controlled active roll stabilization, enables the 740Li to anticipate road conditions and adjust its suspension to best adapt to conditions.
- iDrive with Gesture Control and touchscreen: Hand motions can be used to access functions such as volume control and telephone answering.
- BMW Touch Command control unit: A removable 7-inch tablet from the rear centre armrest to access all comfort and entertainment functions.
- Panoramic Sky Lounge glass roof (740Li only): 15,000 LEDs embedded within glass panel of panoramic roof.
- BMW Display Key: Integrated mini touchscreen on key fob allows checking of fuel level, door lock, windows, service prompts, date & time, and climate control.
- Driving Assistant Plus: Operational up to 210 km/h, watches out for collisions from four directions and implements active directional control intervention.
- Laser headlights (740Li only): Twice the range of LED headlights, with high beam range of 600m.
Overview of Variants
Other key features in the G11 BMW 7 Series, starting with the 730Li, are as follows:
- Design Pure Excellence exterior trim
- 19-inch rims: 245/45 front, 275/40 rear
- ‘Dakota’ leather upholstery
- Heads-up display
- Front & rear parking sensors (Park Distance Control) with visual display
- 360-degree camera
- Adaptive LED headlights
- Comfort rear seats with electric adjustment and massage function
- Multifunction instrument panel
- Panoramic glass roof
- Paddle Shifters
- Keyless comfort access, handsfree boot opening and closing
- 2 USB connections, 2-device Bluetooth pairing
- 205W Loudspeaker HiFi
- Navigation System Professional with 10.25” touch display
- Rear seat entertainment with two 10” monitors
The 740Li, for an extra RM190,000, upgrades to include the following:
- Design Pure Excellence exterior and interior trim
- ‘Nappa’ leather upholstery
- Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function
- Laser Headlights
- Comfort front & rear seats
- Panorama Sky Lounge glass roof
- Harmon Kardon surround sound 600W
BMW hosted us at the G11/G12’s international media drive at Portugal last year. Follow the links below to revisit our pre-launch coverage of the model:
- All-new BMW 7 Series (G11) Makes Global Debut
- Live From Portugal Global Launch of the All-New 2016 BMW 7 Series (G11/G12)
- 10 Things You Should Know About the New 2016 BMW 7 Series (G11/G12)
- 2016 BMW 7 Series (G11/G12) Quick Review in Portugal – One for the Drivers in Us