Following the success of the locally-assembled Subaru XV, Motor Image will be adding one more locally-assembled model to its line-up – the 2016 Subaru Forester.
Like the XV, the Forester will be assembled at the Tan Chong Motor Assemblies (TCMA) plant in Segambut under contract. The model is expected to be launched later this month.
Powered by a 2.0-litre naturally aspirated engine and only available with an all-wheel drive, CVT-type automatic transmission, the Forester will be available in two variants – the base model 2.0i (RM149,258) and the 2.0i-P (RM159,046). Prices quoted are on the road with insurance.
The 2.0i-P model adds the following items over the 2.0i base model.
- Automatic LED headlamps (halogens for 2.0i) with swivelling function
- Front fog lamps
- Steering Responsive Headlight (cornering lights)
- SI Drive - Intelligent, Sport and Sport# modes for engine and transmission
- Pin Code Access security system
- Power adjustable driver’s and front passenger’s seat
- Multi-function steering wheel with cruise control
- Paddle shifters
- Dual-zone automatic air-conditioning (single-zone automatic for 2.0i)
- Rain sensing wipers
More importantly, there are no differences in safety features between the two variants. Both the 2.0i and 2.0i-P are equipped with seven airbags, electronic stability control (Subaru calls it VDC), ABS with EBD, ISOFIX child seat anchors and hill descent control.
Owners will also enjoy a 3-year free service package that covers both parts and labour.
The fully-imported from Japan 2.0-litre turbocharged Forester XT (RM214,596 on the road with insurance) will continue to be sold alongside the locally-assembled, naturally aspirated Forester 2.0i and 2.0i-P variants.
The following are the prices of the Forester 2.0i and 2.0i-P’s key competitors: