The new Perodua Global Manufacturing Sdn Bhd (PGMSB) plant has rolled out its 250,000th vehicle recently after slightly over two years in operation. Opened since August 2014, the PGMSB plant was setup initially to produce the Axia and earlier this year began producing the Bezza as well
Of the 250,000 units produced, the Axia accounts for 85% of the total whilst the Bezza makes up the remaining 15%. Production of the Axia started in August 2014, whilst the Bezza began manufacturing since June 2016.
“This is a historical accomplishment for the entire group; the PGMSB team has work hard to ensure that our customers’ orders are met in an acceptable timeframe,” said Perodua President and Chief Executive Officer, Datuk (Dr) Aminar Rashid Salleh.
To date, Perodua has delivered over 22,000 units of the Bezza since its launch in July 2016. At present, the average waiting period for Perodua’s first sedan model is less than two weeks from the point of loan approval.
PGMSB was founded in 2013 as a separate business entity from the existing and adjacent Perodua manufacturing plant in operation since the Kancil rolled out in the 1990s. It is part of the larger Perodua initiative in transforming the company to become a competitive global automotive player.
Employing a headcount of 2,150 personnel, PGMSB has a maximum production capacity of 200,000 vehicles annually functioning on two shift-cycles.
As of October, Perodua’s 2016 total sales ticker read 167,000 units, with the Axia accounting for the lion’s share at 44.2%. The Myvi continues to do strongly with a contribution of 24.9%, followed by the Alza and Bezza at 17.3% and 13.6% respectively.