Sime Darby AutoConneXion has just launched the new Ford Focus today, with a starting price of RM118,888.
There are 3 variants on offer – the previous Titanium sedan and Sport hatchback has been dropped (Titanium+ and Sport+ retained), but there’s a new Trend hatchback entry variant.
- Focus Trend hatchback: RM118,888
- Focus Titanium+ sedan : RM139,888
- Focus Sport+ hatchback: RM139,888
All prices quoted are on the road without insurance.
- 1.5-litre turbocharged direct injection EcoBoost – 180 PS at 6,000 rpm, 240 Nm sustained from 1,600 – 5,000 rpm
- 6-speed torque converter automatic
- Halogen headlamps
- Front and rear fog lamps
- MacPherson Strut front suspension, Control Blade Independent rear suspension
- ABS, ESP, Hill Launch Assist, ISOFIX, SOS Post-Crash Alert
This is a segment that is traditionally dominated by the Civic but the Civic will be sitting on the sidelines for now as Honda Malaysia phases in the highly anticipated all-new Civic with a 1.5-litre VTEC Turbo engine, by the middle of this year.
The previous Focus has not been a strong seller locally. While it was fun to drive, interior space was lacking and the 6-speed dual-clutch PowerShift transmission was jerky in traffic.
This new model however, has thankfully junked the clunky PowerShift transmission in favour of a conventional 6-speed torque converter automatic. As a bonus, Titanium+ and Sport+ models get paddle shifters - no more of the silly thumb-operated, gear lever-mounted buttons like in the previous model.
Also new is a 1.5-litre turbocharged EcoBoost engine that replaces the previous model’s 2.0-litre naturally aspirated Ti-VCT unit.
With a 180 PS engine and a comprehensive list of safety features – including blind spot monitor with cross traffic alert and autonomous emergency braking (Active City Stop), Ford says the new Focus is not only the most powerful model in its class, but also the safest.
So it’s more than just a mere facelift.
- 1.5-litre turbocharged EcoBoost engine (previous was 2.0-litre naturally aspirated Ti-VCT)
- 6-speed automatic transmission (previous was 6-speed dual-clutch PowerShift)
- Improved electric power-assisted steering – improved comfort, agility, reduced steering effort
- Enhanced Park Assist – now with perpendicular parking and park out assist
- Improved suspension – 25 percent stiffer, reduced sideways movement, quieter and stronger dampers for improved ride comfort
- Enhanced Transitional Stability (ETS) – an addition to the standard electronic stability control feature, predicts and mitigates potential spinouts
- Enhanced Active City Stop – now active up to 50 km/h
- New trapezoidal front grille
- New halogen headlights with LED daytime running lights (previously was Bi-Xenon HIDs for Titanium+ and Sport+)
- New tail lights (LED for Sport+)
- Ford Sync 2 infotainment system with 8-inch touch screen
- 3-spoke steering wheel
- Increased utility functions – deeper glove box, expanded centre console box
Differences Between Variants:
The base model Trend variant comes with the following features:
- Standard tuned suspension
- Power adjustable side mirrors (no power folding function)
- Manually controlled air-conditioning
- Black fabric interior
- 3.5-inch dot matrix display Sync infotainment system with 6 speakers
- Manual adjusting driver’s seat
- Polyurethane steering wheel
- Dot matrix display instrument cluster
- Rear parking sensors
- 17-inch wheels
The Titanium+ sedan adds the following features over the Trend hatchback:
- Side airbags
- Curtain airbags
- Enhanced Park Assist
- Enhanced Active City Stop
- BLIS with Cross Traffic Alert
- Keyless entry
- Front parking sensors
- LED daytime running lights
- Automatic folding side mirrors with puddle lamps
- Automatic headlamps with Follow Me Home function
- Rain sensing wipers
- Dual zone electronically controlled automatic air-conditioning
- Covered cup holders, 12V powerpoint in centre console box
- Beige leather interior
- Paddle shifters
- 8-inch colour display Sync infotainment system with 9 speakers
- Power adjustable driver’s seat with adjustable lumbar support
- Rear centre armrest with cup holders
- Leather wrapped steering wheel
- Colour TFT display instrument cluster
- Auto dimming rear view mirror
- Sunglass holder
- Illuminated sun visors
- Door sill scuff plates
- Ambient lighting and footwell lights
- Rear grab handles with coat hooks
- Cruise control
- 16-inch wheels (17-inch for Trend and Sport+)
The Sport+ hatchback is almost similar to the Titanium+ sedan with the exception of the following:
- Sports tuned suspension
- 17-inch wheels
- LED tail lamps
- Black leather interior
- Manual adjusting driver’s seat with adjustable lumbar support
We will be putting together our review of the new 2016 Ford Focus in a few days’ time. Meanwhile, you can read our review of the Australian market new Ford Focus here.