2016 VW Vento Launched In Malaysia – From RM79,888Auto News
Formerly known as the Volkswagen Polo Sedan, the Vento, now with the addition of a turbocharged variant, represents a much needed boost to the aging Polo Sedan.
Prices start from RM79,888. There are three variants – Comfortline, Trendline, and Highline. Only the Highline model gets a turbocharged 1.2-litre TSI engine paired to a 7-speed dual clutch DSG automatic transmission, while the remaining two variants will continue to use the 1.6-litre naturally aspirated MPI engine and 6-speed torque converter automatic transmission from the previous Polo Sedan.
- Vento Highline: RM93,888
- Vento Comfortline: RM86,888
- Vento Trendline: RM79,888
All prices quoted are on the road without insurance, for Peninsular Malaysia.
Specifications (Highline/Trendline and Comfortline):
- Engine: 1.2-litre TSI turbo/1.6-litre MPI naturally aspirated
- Transmission: 7-speed dual clutch automatic/6-speed torque converter automatic
- Power: 105 PS at 5,000 rpm/105 PS at 5,250 rpm
- Torque: 175 Nm from 1,500-4,100 rpm/153 Nm at 3,800 rpm
- Safety (Highline): ESC, ABS with BA, ICRS, four airbags, ISOFIX
- Safety: (Comfortline): ABS with BA, ICRS, four airbags, ISOFIX
- Safety: (Trendline): ABS with BA, ICRS, two airbags, ISOFIX
- Claimed fuel consumption: 5.5-litres/100 km (Highline), 6.5-litres/100 km (Comfortline and Trendline)
As before with the Polo Sedan, the Vento is locally-assembled at DRB-Hicom’s plant in Pekan, Pahang.
As mentioned before, it was formerly known as the Polo Sedan, but this refreshed and renamed facelift model now spots a few important updates.
The most noticeable difference are the very Passat-like front grille and its new front bumper that now sports a chrome strip across, and a more rectangular front fog lamp housing that’s very similar to the ones fitted on the Polo hatchback.
Behind, the tail lamps are now LEDs, while the interior also features several upgrades. The new three-spoke steering wheel now looks more refined, and is the same unit that’s fitted on the hatchback Polo Trophy.
Metallic-like trims now adorn the centre stack, lifting the mood slightly in Volkswagen’s typically sombre cabin.
The highest specifications Highline model, which comes with electronic stability control (ESC), has a five-star rating by ASEAN NCAP. The two remaining models lacks ESC but have an equally strong passive safety systems. However, ESC is a compulsory feature for ASEAN NCAP to award the fifth star, so the Trendline and Comfortline models will have to settle with four stars.
All variants come standard with ICRS (Integrated Crash Response System), a critically important safety feature which in the unfortunate event of a serious collision, ICRS will automatically unlock all doors, disable the fuel pump (to prevent fire) and activate the emergency hazard lights.
Boot size is rated 454-litres.
Key differences between the three variants of the Vento are as follows:
- 1.6-litre naturally aspirated MPI engine with 6-speed automatic
- 15-inch alloy wheels
- ‘Clouds’ fabric seat upholstery
- Halogen headlamps
- Remote opening trunk lid
- Radio 220G infotainment system with 4 speakers, USB, SD card, AUX-in
- Tilt and telescopic steering wheel
- Rear fog lamps
- 60/40 split folding rear seats
Additional features for Vento Comfortline
- Climatronic automatic air-conditioning system
- Cruise control
- Driver’s armrest
- Side airbags
- Front fog lamps
- Interior chrome package (chrome trimmings on dashboard, infotainment and controls)
- Leather trimmed gear knob and steering wheel
- Radio 320G infotainment system with 4 speakers, USB, SD card, AUX-in
- Rear air-conditioning vent
Additional features for Vento Highline
- 1.2-litre TSI engine with 7-speed DSG
- Electronic stability control
- Hill hold control
- ‘Cable’ fabric sear upholstery
- 16-inch wheels
As with all Volkswagens sold in Malaysia, all variants of the Vento is covered by a 5-year warranty. For a limited time period only, there will be an early bird discount of RM2,000 across all variants of the Vento.