Shortly after its first public debut at the recent 2019 Malaysia Autoshow, Proton has officially introduced the facelifted Proton Iriz. The Iriz and Persona duo are the first pre-Geely era Proton models to receive an update under the new management.
Proton’s B-Segment hatchback has gone through a salvo of changes – 367 items have reportedly been updated – to offer better value and functionality, and take the fight to its arch-rival, the Perodua Myvi.
There are five variants in total, priced as follows:
- Standard 1.3L MT: RM 36,700
- Standard 1.3L CVT: RM 39,700
- Executive 1.3L CVT: RM 44,700
- Executive 1.6L CVT: RM 46,700
- Premium 1.6L CVT: RM 50,700
All prices are on-the-road, excluding insurance.
At the front, the most notable cosmetic change is the grille trim element called the Ethereal Bow, first seen on the X70, which now crowns slimmer headlights. The front bumper has also been redesigned. At the rear, the facelifted Proton Iriz gets the same familial feature as the X70, by having the Proton script affixed to the rear tailgate trim. Likewise, the redesigned rear bumper features vertical garnish inserts, at either side of a new central strip on the lower edge of the bumper. The Iriz logo is new too.
On the inside changes are more subtle; the most notable highlight is the new analogue meter cluster with a full-colour multi-information display. There’s also a new seven-inch infotainment unit with the "Hi Proton" voice command (Premium variant only), however, unlike the X70's more advanced system that can control the sunroof, windows, and air-conditioning, the Iriz’s unit is limited to music, weather forecast, and navigation features.
Powertrains are the same as before, albeit with the CVT-type automatic gearbox tweaked for better fuel economy and response. Proton also claims that the chassis has been fettled with to deliver better braking performance and cabin refinement than before.
The 1.3-litre four-cylinder produces 95 PS at 5,750 rpm and 120 Nm of torque at 4,000 rpm, while the larger 1.6-litre delivers 109 PS at 5,750 rpm and 150 Nm at 4,000 rpm. The sole manual variant gets a 5-speed manual, while all the other variants are equipped with a CVT-type automatic transmission.
All variants are fitted with ABS, EBD, Brake Assist, ESC, Traction Control, and Hill Hold Assist. Besides the Premium 1.6L CVT variant - which receives 6 airbags - all other variants get 2 airbags. The facelifted Iriz has been conferred a 5-Star ASEAN NCAP rating.
The highlights of each variant are as follows:
Standard 1.3L MT offers:
- Halogen headlamps
- LED taillights
- 14-inch alloy wheels
- Shark fin antenna
- 2 Speakers
- Two USB charging ports
- Eco Drive Assist
- Fabric seats
- Segmented LCD Multi Info Display (MID)
- Front and rear parking sensors
- ABS, EBD, Brake Assist, ESC, Traction Control
- Hill Hold Assist
- Two airbags
Standard 1.3L CVT adds:
- Tailgate spoiler
- CVT-type automatic transmission
Executive 1.3L CVT adds:
- Automatic headlamps with follow-me-home function
- LED daytime running lights
- 15-inch two-tone alloy wheels
- Keyless entry and start with remote trunk release
- Seven-inch infotainment system with Bluetooth and smartphone connectivity
- Four speakers
- TFT LCD colour Multi Info Display (MID)
- Reverse camera with dynamic guide lines
Executive 1.6L CVT adds:
- 1.6-litre VVT engine
- Auto-folding powered side mirrors
Premium 1.6L CVT adds:
- Black-painted roof
- Leather-wrapped multifunction steering wheel
- Semi-leather seats
- Rear view mirror with clear plastic bezel
- Sporty gear lever
- On-board 4G and Wi-Fi hotspot
- "Hi Proton" command for navigation, weather, and music
- Six airbags
There are five body colours to choose from: Snow White, Jet Grey, Armour Silver, Ocean Blue, and Ruby Red.
Similar to other recently-introduced Proton models, the facelifted Iriz is backed by Proton's 5-year/100,000-km warranty package.
As a value-added proposition, buyers of the facelifted Proton Iriz can enjoy these benefits:
- Free 2-year road tax for the first 1,000 registered units
- Free 5-year data package with 1GB month data quota (1.6L Premium only)
- Interest rates from 2.93%
- Free labour for 3 scheduled service appointments (up to 20,000 km)
- Insurance coverage package
Click here to check out our first impressions behind the wheel of the facelifted Proton Iriz.
For the latest deals on Proton vehicles, click here.