The recent floods in Penang have caused millions in damage to homes and public infrastructure and displaced hundreds of victims, with the final toll still being added up.
Adding to the losses, are countless vehicles that may have been damaged by floodwater, or worst, fully-submerged in lower lying areas such as basement car parks. It also serves as a reminder that obtaining flood insurance need not be very expensive, and yet a prudent measure if we don't want to be slapped with a hefty repair bill.
Fortunately, some carmakers have stepped up to assist owners who have been affected by the flood, and get them on the road again.
Here’s a shortlist of who is helping out and how.
- 20 percent discount on Nissan genuine spare parts.
- 20 percent discount on labour charges..
- Upholstery restoration at RM1,325 (including GST) for affected Nissan sedan models.
- Upholstery restoration at RM1,590 (including GST) for affected Nissan MPV / SUV / Pick-Up / Van models.
- Three months or 5,000 km warranty on labour and Nissan genuine parts replacement (whichever comes first).
- Nissan customer care centre at 1800-88-3838.
- A nationwide programme for all Volkswagen owners affected by the recent flood disaster. In particular, the Northern regions.
- 30 percent discount off the total invoice (which includes parts and labour).
- Flood Relief programme will run until 28 February 2018.
- Discounts of up to 50% for genuine Kia parts replacement as well as discounted labour rates.
- Subject to the degree of damage incurred in the vehicle.
- This flood relief programme only applies to Kia vehicles uninsured for a natural disaster.
- Nine participating service centres across Penang, Kedah and Perak
- Free inspection service.
- Perodua is also offering 20% off selected parts for vehicles are damaged by the floods.
- The parts include all electronic items, carpet, vehicle seats, door trims and engine overhaul gasket.
- Customer care line at 1-800-88-5555 for towing assistance (terms and conditions apply).
- 50 percent discount on affected genuine parts.
- Applies to vehicles purchased through Honda authorised dealers, that are uninsured for a natural disaster.
- Warranty on replacement parts for six months/ 10,000 km, whichever comes first.
- Relief programme valid until 28 February 2018.
Also, if you happen to be caught in a flood prone areas, here are some handy tips to ensure you and your vehicle stay safe.