The Levante, Maserati’s first SUV in the 102-year history of the company has made its Malaysian debut, distilling the Italian carmaker’s rich racing heritage, sporting character an ageless charm into market friendly SUV packaging for the upper echelons of society.
Datuk Wira Hj SM Faisal Tan Sri SM Nasimuddin, NAZA World Group Executive Chairman, said, “Maserati’s first entry into the SUV segment has the poise and power to exceed expectations and set it apart from its peers. As the marque ventures into unchartered territory, it explores new heights of luxury and broadens the brand’s appeal to customers seeking an impressive balance of elegance and versatility. The Levante has been eagerly awaited and will no doubt be a popular new addition to Malaysia’s luxury automotive market.”
The Levante is priced at a not-too-shabby RM888,800 (inclusive of local taxes and duties), and for now is available exclusively as the 3.0-litre turbodiesel – called the Levante ‘275hp’. The Levante enters the luxury SUV hotbed, to rival established opposition such as the Range Rover Sport (from RM795,000) and the Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (from RM780,000).
Here’s all you need to know about Maser’s new SUV:
- Engine Layout : 60-deg V6 common-rail turbodiesel
- Displacement (cc) : 2,987
- Max. Power (hp @ rpm) : 275 @ 4,000
- Max. Torque (Nm @ rpm) : 600 @ 2,000-2,600
- Fuel consumption (l/100 km (NEDC) : 7.2
- Emissions CO2 (g/km) : 189
- Acceleration 0-100 km/h (sec) : 6.9
- Top speed (km/h) : 230
- Gearbox : 8-speed automatic (ZF AT8 - HP70)
- Drivetrain : Q4 All Wheel Drive with rear limited slip differential
- Suspension Front : Double Wishbone, adjustable Air Springs, ‘Skyhook’ shock absorbers
- Suspension Rear : Multi Link, adjustable Air Springs, Skyhook shock absorbers
- Dimensions Length/width/height (mm) : 5,003 / 1,968 / 1,679
- Wheelbase (mm) : 3,004
- Tyres (standard) : 255/60 ZR18
The Levante is based on the evolution of Maserati’s ‘Giorgio’ sedan platform which also underpins the Ghbili sedan and draws its name from a warm Mediterranean wind, and also means ‘to rise’ in the Italian language.
Styling-wise, the Levante exhibits similar design cues to other models in Maserati’s stable and incorporates the brand’s signature aesthetic gallantry and spacious interior. The trademark radiator grille with slim, tapered headlights dominates the car’s bold front and the car’s sleek silhouette is formed of graceful sweeping lines.
Its streamlined shape, which is also functional in nature, lends the Levante a best in class aerodynamic efficiency – a drag coefficient (Cd) of just 0.31. Another standout feature of the Levante is the frameless door windows.
The Levante also deploys some performance-oriented features, such as the extensive use of lightweight materials, ideal 50:50 weight distribution and the lowest centre of gravity in class, which Maserati claim, delivers unparalleled agility for a luxury SUV.
Like any luxury SUV, customisation is at the heart of the ownership process – the Levante is offered in three distinct packages:
- Sport: embraces Maserati’s racing character
- Luxury: ups the luxury appointments inside and out
- Zegna Edition: combines premium Italian leather with bespoke silk from Ermenegildo Zegna, made using a patented Zegna process.
The Levante also introduces a host of advanced safety to convenience options technologies to the current Maserati line-up, such as Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop & Go function, Forward Collision Warning and Brake Assist System, Lane Departure Warning, Surround View camera and a capacitive 8.4" Touch Screen display.