Following the success of the assembled in Segambut Subaru XV, Motor Image Malaysia has added a second locally assembled model in its range – the new 2016 Subaru Forester. The model is the same as the facelifted Forester that was launched in Japan not too long ago.
What is it?
The Subaru Forester is a five-seater SUV, powered by a 2.0-litre normally aspirated engine. It’s only available with a CVT-type automatic transmission, and drive is transferred to all four wheels via Subaru’s signature Symmetrical AWD (S-AWD) system.
It competes with the Honda Honda CR-V 2.0 4WD (RM153,300 including insurance), Mazda CX-5 2.0 4WD (RM154,213 including insurance), and to a certain extent, the Nissan X-Trail 2.5-litre 4WD (RM164,148 including insurance).
How much is it?
There are two variants – 2.0i (RM144,948 excluding insurance) and 2.0i-P (RM154,888 excluding insurance) but for a limited time period only, interested customers can buy the Forester from just RM139,800 for the 2.0i model and RM151,800 for the 2.0i-P model.
What are the key features/highlights?
Subaru is a very well established brand, but over in Malaysia, the brand is over-represented by parallel imported boy-racer type WRX so the brand might not resonate much to the average family.
In truth, Subaru makes some of the safest, family friendly cars in the world, and the Forester’s specifications reflects the Subaru’s values.
The Forester is one of those few cars on sale today that does not force buyers to buy the most expensive variant to get basic active and passive safety features. Whichever variant you choose, either the base 2.0i or the higher range 2.0i-P model, the safety features are the same.
Both variants are equipped with seven airbags, electronic stability control (Subaru calls it VDC), ABS with EBD, ISOFIX child seat anchors and hill descent control. Not only that, Subaru says the Forester’s high-tensile strength steel and reinforced frame body is able to withstand up to 1.5 tons.
The 2.0i-P model adds the following items over the 2.0i base model.
- Automatic LED headlamps (halogens for 2.0i) with swivelling function
- Power operated tailgate
- Front fog lamps
- Steering Responsive Headlight (cornering lights)
- SI Drive - Intelligent, Sport and Sport# modes for engine and transmission
- Pin Code Access security system
- Power adjustable driver’s and front passenger’s seat
- Multi-function steering wheel with cruise control
- Paddle shifters
- Dual-zone automatic air-conditioning (single-zone automatic for 2.0i)
- Rain sensing wipers
Specifications for both 2.0i and 2.0i-P variants:
- Engine: 2.0-litre FB20 series naturally aspirated four cylinder boxer engine
- Power: 150 PS at 6,200 rpm
- Torque: 198 Nm at 4,200 rpm
- Claimed fuel consumption: 7.9-litre/100 km
- Transmission: CVT automatic, all-wheel drive with X-MODE (optimises function of S-AWD, hill descent control, electronic stability control, throttle and brakes for different terrain conditions)
- Safety: seven airbags, electronic stability control (VDC), ABS with EBD, ISOFIX child seat anchors and hill descent control (HDC)
The fully-imported Forester XT, which is powered by a turbocharged 2.0-litre boxer engine that produces 241 PS at 5,600 rpm and 350 Nm at 2,400 – 3,600 rpm is also available at RM211,729 excluding insurance.