Following its preview at KLIMS 2018, Mitsubishi Motors Malaysia (MMM) has officially introduced new Mitsubishi Triton. Available in five variants, the new model boasts - among other things - a comprehensive redesign of the exterior and interior, an expanded list of active safety features and more importantly, a far more sophisticated Super Select 4WD II drivetrain which comes with four selectable off-road modes.
The five variants are priced as follows:
- Triton VGT MT: RM100,200
- Triton VGT AT: RM105,990
- Triton VGT Premium MT: RM112,500
- Triton VGT Premium AT: RM118,600
- Triton VGT Adventure X AT: RM135,200
All prices are On-The-Road, without insurance.
The entry VGT AT and MT variants come with:
- Easy Select 4WD (2H, 4H, and 4L only - without 4HLc or 4LLc modes)
- Halogen projector headlamps
- 16-inch alloy wheels
- Halogen daytime running lights
- 2-DIN audio unit with MP3 and USB
- 4 speakers
- Manual control air-conditioning
- Dual airbags
- ABS with EBD and BA
- Electronic stability control (Active Stability Control, ASC)
- Hill Start Assist
The mid-range VGT Premium AT and MT add the following:
- 17-inch dual tone alloy wheels for MT, 18-inch for AT
- Easy Select 4WD adds selectable off-road modes (only for AT)
- Touchscreen infotainment with MP3, Bluetooth and USB
- 6 speakers
- Automatic air-conditioning
- Cruise control
- 4-spoke leather wrapped steering wheels with audio control buttons
- Rear air-conditioning vents
- Hill Descent Control (only for AT)
- Reverse camera
The highest specification Adventure X adds the following:
- Super Select 4WD (2H, 4H, 4HLc and 4LLc modes)
- Bi-LED automatic headlamps
- LED daytime running lights
- Automatic wipers
- Apple Car Play and Android Auto support
- Paddle shifters
- Leather wrapped seats
- Power adjustable driver's seat
- Seven airbags
- Forward Collision Mitigation (FCM)
- Blind Spot Warning
- Lane Change Assist
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Auto High Beam
- Ultrasonic Misacceleration Mitigation System
- Front parking sensors
Under the hood of the new Triton is the same 2.4-litre MIVEC turbodiesel engine. Although it's carried over from the previous Triton, it's not exactly an old engine as it was only introduced here in late 2016. It's still the only engine in its class to feature lightweight aluminium construction and MIVEC variable valve timing. As before, it makes 181 PS at 3,500 rpm and 430 Nm at 2,500 rpm. The engine is paired to either a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic transmission; both are new for the Triton range.
The highlight of the drivetrain is Mitsubishi's Super Select 4WD II system which allows 4WD driving on both tarmac and off-road. Instead of the usual 2H, 4H, and 4L modes, the Super Select 4WD II system allows to the driver to select between 2H, 4H, 4HLc, 4LLc - with Lc for locking centre differential. There's also a selectable off-road mode with optimises the drivetrain for sand, mud, gravel, or rock terrain.
In terms of active safety systems, the range-topping Triton Adventure X now comes with driving assistance features such as Forward Collision Mitigation (FCM), Ultrasonic Mis-acceleration Mitigation System (UMS), Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA), Blind Spot Warning with Lane Change Assist (BSW with LCA), and Auto High Beam (AHB).
There are four colour choices: White Diamond, Black Mica, Sterling Silver, and Graphite Grey Metallic. White Diamond is available for all variants. Jet Black Mica is exclusive for Adventure X, Graphite Gray is only for VGT Premium, while Sterling Silver is available for the entry VGT variant.
All new Tritons are offered with a 5-year or 200,000 km warranty (whichever comes first).