Nearly 17 months after the initial announcement, Proton has finally launched the X70. The initial batches of the X70 will be imported from China, with local assembly at Proton's Tanjung Malim plant expected to commence some time in 2019.
A total of four variants will be available, priced at:
- Standard 2WD - RM 99,800
- Executive 2WD - RM 109,800
- Executive AWD - RM 115,800
- Premium 2WD - RM 123,800
All prices are on-the-road, without insurance.
Proton also stated that for the first time ever, prices of the X70 will be consistent between Peninsular Malaysia, Sabah, and Sarawak.
All variants of the Proton X70 are powered by a 1.8-litre turbocharged direct-injection four-cylinder petrol engine, outputting 181 hp and 285 Nm. The sole transmission option is a six-speed automatic, sending power to either the front wheels or all four wheels, depending on specification.
Starting from the base Standard 2WD (RM 99,800), equipment includes:
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Halogen projector headlights
- Fabric seats
- 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system with natural language, contextual voice control ("Hi Proton" commands)
- Reverse camera
- 6 speakers
- Dual-zone automatic air-conditioning
- Rear air vents
- Air purifier system
- 6 airbags
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Traction Control
- Hill Hold Assist
- Hill Descent Control
- Emergency Stop signal
As for the Executive 2WD (RM 109,800), this variant adds:
- LED headlights with LED daytime running lights
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Leatherette seats
- Power adjustable driver seat
- Auto-dimming rear view mirror
- 360-degree surround view camera
- 8 speakers
The sole Executive AWD (RM 115,800) variant adds:
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Sitting at the top of the Proton X70 range is the Premium 2WD model (RM 123,800), which adds:
- Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS)
- Autonomous Emergency Braking
- Forward Collision Warning
- Adaptive cruise control
- Lane Departure Warning
- Blind Spot Information System
- Intelligent High Beam Control
- Brown Nappa leather seats
- Power adjustable front passenger seat
- Panoramic sunroof
- 9 speakers, including power amplifier and subwoofer
Setting the Proton X70 apart from its competitors is its infotainment system. Unlike other similarly-priced rivals, the Proton X70's infotainment system is able to understand contextual, natural language voice control - just say "Hi Proton," followed by your instructions, similar to the Linguatronic "Hey Mercedes" system found in the W177-generation Mercedes-Benz A-Class.
A total of five body colours are available, which includes Snow White, Armour Silver, Jet Grey, Cinnamon Brown, and Flame Red. The Executive 2WD model gets four colours excluding Flame Red, while the remaining two models (Standard 2WD, Executive AWD) can only be had with two colours.
In terms of warranty, the Proton X70 is backed by a 5-year, unlimited mileage warranty. As for its data connectivity, the X70 is backed by a 5-year data package, capped at 1GB per month.