What are the SOPs for the 11 economic sectors reopened for states in Phase 1 of the National Recovery Plan (NRP) effective August 16?
In a statement released August 15, Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said that the decision to reopen some economic sectors was made after taking into account the risk assessment data conducted by the Ministry of Health Malaysia (MOH), Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs (KPDNHEP).
The reactivation of economic activities is based on adult vaccination rates, whereby 50% of the adult population in each state have to be fully vaccinated before the recommencing of activities can take place.
The 11 types of economic activities that will be allowed to resume operations in Phase 1 states effective August 16 are:
- Car wash
- Electrical and electronic stores
- Home goods and kitchenware stores
- Furniture stores
- Sports equipment stores
- Car accesory stores
- Car dealers and distributors
- Morning markets and farmers markets
- Clothing, fashion and accersories shop
- Barbers, hair and beauty salons
As expected, there are some strict SOPs that customers and shop owners must adhere to, according to the Prime Minister.
Must complete vaccine
The general condition is that all 11 economic activities can only be utilised for those who have completed the complete vaccination of either 1 or 2 doses.
- Pfizer, AstraZeneca and Sinovac vaccines - after the 14th day of the second dose
- Johnson & Johnson and CanSino vaccines - after the 28th day of injection, since they are a single-dose vaccine
For clothing, fashion and accessories stores, jewellery stores as well as barbershops and beauty centres/ salons (hair cutting services only), there are additional health standard operating procedures (SOPs) that must be followed. "These SOPs may be complicated, but it is for the safety of employees and customers", added the Prime Minister.
a. Limited time to carry out services and purchases, workers must wear gloves
Workers must be wearing gloves, and there is limited business time between shops and customers. There will also be no use of fitting rooms.
b. Public parks are also now open in Phase 1 states
People residing in Phase 1 states of the NRP will be allowed to visit public parks for leisure activities starting from August 16. However, only individual activities such as jogging, cycling and exercising would be allowed and they must be in line with sports and leisure SOPs in Phase 1 of the NRP.
List of more economic activities allowed for states and federal territories under Phase 2 of NRP
• Photography stores
• Second-hand goods stores
• Florists and nurseries
• Handicraft and souvenir shops
• Antique shops
• Toy stores
• Carpet stores
• Businesses involved in creative content and providing equipment for creative industries
• Outdoor sports stores (including camping, fishing equipment, etc)
• Cosmetics, skincare and perfume stores
• Vape and electronic cigarette stores
As a reminder, here is a list of states and their phases as well as the percentage of adults that are fully vaccinated as of Aug 14.
- Kedah - 30%
- Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya - 64.7%
- Negeri Sembilan - 61.3%
- Melaka - N/A
- Johor - 26.5 %
- Pulau Pinang - 36%
- Perak - 34.6%
- Kelantan - 27.6%
- Terengganu - 34%
- Pahang - 31.2%
- Sabah - 21.7%
- Perlis - 52.7%
- Sarawak - 79%
- Labuan - 88.1%