Proton SUV Named X70, Open For Bookings From TomorrowBerita Kereta
Proton has just announced the name of its upcoming Geely Boyue-based SUV, and it is called the X70.
The name was chosen after Proton ran an online campaign to allow members of the public to select the name out of four options. Nearly 90,000 entries were submitted and the X70 was selected by 60 per cent of the entrants.
Proton says the new naming nomenclature that consists of alphanumeric arrangement was selected as it will be more accessible globally, without the need to overcome any naming conventions.
Breaking down the X70 name, Proton simply says the alphabet ‘X’ is popularly used by automotive brands to denote crossover or SUV models, while the figure ‘70’ just represents the size or class of the SUV in the brand’s line-up.
The Proton X70 is heavily based on the facelifted Geely Boyue. Proton was given the liberty to design the front grille that reflects design motifs from Malaysian craftsmanship.
At the rear, the chrome trim piece that connects the tail lamps is now finished in satin grey and spells the Proton brand name.
Moving to the interior, there are no changes to any elements except those bearing the donor vehicle’s branding. The steering wheel now carries the Proton logo, while the beautiful speaker grilles on all four door panels have a pattern called 'Infinite Weave' that is inspired by traditional Malaysian wood carving.
Under the hood, Proton informed that the turbocharged 1.8-litre petrol engine with direct injection (TGDI) will deliver outputs of 181 hp and 285 Nm of torque, which is available almost instantly from 1,500 rpm. Drive is available in either front-wheel or all-wheel, depending on variant.
Proton has not released the detailed specification sheet, but based on observation of the two display units, the features available include (subject to change in final production vehicle):
Premium variant (tentative grade name)
- Panoramic Moonroof
- Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane keeping assist, and Blind Spot Monitor
- Nappa leather upholstery
- Infotainment with voice command
- Front passenger easy-adjustment switch (slide and recline to improve rear passenger’s legroom)
Executive variant (tentative grade name)
- Satin silver roof rails
- LED head lamps with DRL
- LED tail lamps with signature look
- 18-inch machine-finished alloy wheels with 225/60R18 tyres
- High resolution coloured instrument panel
- 360-degree surround view camera system
- Dual-zone automatic air-conditioning
- Rear air-conditioning duct with separate air ionizer system
- Keyless entry and push start system
- Power adjustable front seats
- Sport and Eco drive modes
- Auto-hold with an electric parking brake
- Six USB slots, including two at the top of the front windscreen, above the rear view mirror
- Auto-dimming rear view mirror
- Electronic Stability Program (ESP) with six airbags
Proton will release more details on the X70’s specifications and equipment levels in the coming weeks. Prices have not been announced but we understand that the base model will start from slightly below RM 100,000, and that there will be four variants on offer.
Public preview events which are scheduled to begin from 19th September to 4th November will bring the new Proton X70 to seven major cities in Malaysia- KL, Penang, Ipoh, Kuantan, Johor Bahru, Kuching, and Kota Kinabalu.
Proton 3S and 4S centres will also be accepting bookings for the new X70 starting tomorrow (8th September), with a small fee of just RM1,000 and an official launch targeted before the end of the year.