The all-new BMW 5 Series is now in its seventh model generation, replacing a hugely successful predecessor that sold over two million units in its model life cycle. Since the original E12 model debuted in 1972, BMW has sold some 7.9 million units of the 5 Series worldwide.
For now, BMW offers the 5 Series with only one variant, but it's a competitive one - a fully-kitted 530i M Sport priced at RM388,800 OTR without insurance.
Taking over from the outgoing F10 528i, the all-new G30 530i is powered by BMW’s new generation 2.0-litre turbo inline-4 petrol engine churning out 252hp and 350Nm. Mated to the familiar 8-speed auto from ZF, the 530i is able to do 0-100km/h in 6.2 seconds en route to an electronically capped top speed of 250 km/h.
Whilst the 530i's century sprint time is identical to the outgoing 528i, it is a significantly more economical car with official consumption of 5.8 litres/100km and carbon dioxide emissions at 132 g/km, making it more efficient than even the outgoing 520i, which managed 6.2 litres/100km and 144 g/km.
Dimensionally, the G30 is a bigger car all-round than the outgoing F10 5 Series. External measurements of the new car in relation to its predecessor are summarized below (F10’s size in parenthesis):
- Length: 4,936mm (4,907mm)
- Width: 1,868mm (1,860mm)
- Height: 1,479mm (1,464mm)
- Wheelbase: 2,975mm (2,968mm)
M Sport package is standard with the all-new 5 Series, bringing the following items:
- 19-inch stagger-sized M light-alloy wheels
- M Sport brakes with blue-painted callipers
- M Aerodynamic components – front and rear aprons, side sill covers
- Sports seats – driver and front passenger
- Illuminated M door sill finish
- M specific pedals
- M leather steering
The all-new 5 Series also comes with a comprehensive array of technology that includes, but not limited to, the following:
- Adaptive LED headlamps
- iDrive with 10.25-inch touchscreen and Gesture Control
- Speed Limit Info with Intelligent Speed Limit Assist
- Lane Departure Warning, Lane Change Warning
- Rear cross traffic alert
- Prevention of Rear Collision
Follow these links to know more about the all-new G30 BMW 5 Series:
- 2017 BMW 5 Series (G30) Revealed; Petrol, Diesel, PHEV Variants From 190hp to 462hp
- Review: 2017 BMW 5 Series (G30) – 530d xDrive, 540i Driven In Lisbon, Portugal
- All-New 2017 BMW 5 Series (G30) Launched In Malaysia; CBU 530i M Sport, RM399k
- 2017 BMW 5 Series (G30) – Now Locally Assembled, RM10k Cheaper
- Review: BMW 530i M Sport (G30) – The Fleet-Footed Executive