After much anticipation, Isuzu Malaysia has introduced the third-generation (RG01) Isuzu D-Max pickup truck for the Malaysian market. The latest generation, which replaces the (RT85) launched here in 2019, crucially takes a big leap forwards into the lifestyle pickup truck market with a bold new design, and improved equipment and features across the range.
The Isuzu D-Max range is offered in 7 variants across two body styles and drivetrain packages, priced as follows:
- 1.9L Single-Cab (MT): RM88,599
- 3.0L Single-Cab (MT): RM95,538
- 1.9L Double-Cab Standard (MT): RM99,599
- 1.9L Double-Cab Standard (AT): RM106,999
- 1.9L Double-Cab Premium (AT): RM121,549
- 3.0L Double-Cab Premium (AT): RM128,038
- 3.0L Double-Cab X-Terrain (AT): RM141,938
All recommended prices are OTR without insurance, Individual Private registration.
Two powertrains are on offer – the (RZ4E) 1.9L DDi Bluepower which develops 150PS at 3,600 rpm, and 350 Nm of torque between 1,800 rpm and 2,600 rpm. The range-topping 3.0-litre now gets the heavily updated 4JJ3-TCX four-cylinder turbodiesel (which was not available with the RT85) – that outputs 190PS (+13PS from the 4JJ1) and 450Nm (+70Nm) between 1,600rpm and 2,600rpm.
The new 4JJ3-TCX benefits (over its predecessor, the 4JJ1) from a new commonrail injection system, electronically controlled VGS turbocharger and a new piston and combustion chamber design to offer improved performance and efficiency and greater flexibility in its powerband. All engines are mated to either a six-speed automatic or manual transmission depending on variant. All variants are offered with the 4x4 drivetrain, the Isuzu D-Max does not get a 4x2 drivetrain option this time around.
In terms of dimensions, the new D-Max measures 5,265mm in length, 1,870mm in width, and 1,810mm in height and has a wheelbase of 3,125mm. The new D-Max is marginally shorter (by 30mm) though wider (10mm) and taller (15mm) than its predecessor. The wheelbase has also notably grown by 30mm. Another crucial feature of the new model is its 800mm water wading depth, bringing the D-Max on par with its major rivals.
For brevity we will cover the major equipment highlights of the double-cab variants only:
Isuzu D-Max 1.9L Double-Cab Standard (MT): RM99,599
- 1.9-litre DDi BluePower (150PS/350Nm)
- 6-speed manual transmission
- Halogen headlights, bulb-type DRL with Follow-Me-Home function
- Front fog lamps
- Bulb-type rear combination lights
- 17-inch wheels, 255/65/R17 tyre setup
- 2-Din headunit with USB, Bluetooth
- 4.2 TFT LCD colour MID display
- e-Lumax meter panel
- Urethane steering wheel with audio and MID controls
- Fabric seats
- Manual climate control
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Traction control
- Hill Start Assist (HSA)
- Hill Descent Control (HDC)
- Brake override
- Seat belt reminder – all seats
- Reverse sensor
- Side steps
Isuzu D-Max 1.9L Double-Cab Standard (AT): RM106,999
- 6-speed automatic transmission
- Bi-LED projector headlights with LED DRL
- Power adjusted side mirror with LED turn indicator
Isuzu D-Max 1.9L Double-Cab Premium (AT): RM121,549
- Front and rear LED foglamps
- LED rear combination lights
- Automatic wipers
- Roof rails
- Passive cruise control
- Keyless entry and start
- Welcome light
- Auto-dimming rear mirror
- 7-inch touchscreen infotainment headunit with Bluetooth, USB, Apple Carplay and Android Auto and Miracast
- Dual-Zone automatic climate control
- Rear AC vents
- Leather steering wheel and gearknob
- Black combination leather seats
- Reverse camera
- Blind Spot Monitor (BSM)
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Tailgate assist
Isuzu D-Max 3.0L Double-Cab Premium (AT): RM128,038
- 3.0-litre BluePower turbodiesel engine (190PS/450Nm)
Isuzu D-Max 3.0L Double-Cab X-Terrain (AT): RM141,938
- ‘X-Terrain’ body highlights and overfenders
- Auto headlamp levelling
- Infrared-cut front windshield
- Remote engine start
- Brown combination leather interior
- 8-way power adjusted driver’s seat
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
- Autonomous emergency braking
- Turn Assist
- Pedal Misapplication Mitigation
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Automatic High Beam (AHB)
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Sliding cargo tray
The D-Max X-Terrain is offered exclusively in either Valencia Orange or Sapphire Blue. Those two colours, along with three others – Mercury Silver, Onyx Black and Silky Pearl White are also offered depending on variant.
All variants of the Isuzu D-Max are offered with a 5-year/150,000km manufacturer package, the X-Terrain flagship, however, is offered with a 7-year unlimited mileage warranty.
Though the official prices and variant lists have been announced today, showroom units for viewing and test drives will only be made available starting 26th April 2021.
For more latest car news, reviews, car buying guides and videos visit us at Carlist.my Auto News.
Check out all the best new & used car deals in Malaysia at Carlist.my.
Sell your car fast with the best offer? Visit us at CarlistBid.my.
Get the latest new car promotions at New Car website now.