UMW Toyota Motor has simultaneously launched both the Toyota Alphard and Vellfire twins earlier today.
In Japan, both models are available with either a 2.5-litre four-cylinder Dual VVT-i or 3.5-litre V6 Dual VVT-i engine, in 7- or 8-seater configurations. However UMW Toyota Motor have elected to separate the two imported from Japan models by offering only a single engine option each, both with 7 seats.
The more luxuriously equipped Alphard, priced from RM419,900 (on the road with insurance) is powered by a 3.5-litre Dual VVT-i engine, while the sportier looking Vellfire is cheaper, at RM355,000, powered by a smaller 2.5-litre Dual VVT-i engine. It’s the same 2AR-FE engine that powered the previous non-hybrid Camry 2.5V.
The more expensive Alphard is available in two variants – the RM419,900 standard model, and RM519,900 Executive Lounge model, both using the same 3.5-litre engine, paired to a 6-speed automatic transmission driving the front wheels.
The 2.5-litre Vellfire is only available in one standard variant, and drive is transferred to the front wheels via a CVT-type automatic transmission.
Key features for the Toyota Vellfire 2.5-litre – RM355,000
- 2.5-litre Dual VVT-i engine – 180 PS at 6,000 rpm, 235 Nm at 4,100 rpm
- Continuously Variable automatic Transmission (CVT)
- 6-speed automatic transmission
- LED headlamps with cornering lamp and daytime running lights
- LED front fog lamps
- Rear fog lamps
- Twin power-retracting moon roof
- Leather wrapped black wood grain steering wheel with control switches for audio
- Optitron instrument panel with 4.2-inch TFT LCD screen
- Cruise control
- Keyless Smart Entry with push-start engine ignition button
- Power-operated tailgate
- Power-operated sliding doors (both sides)
- Black leather seats
- Power-operated seats in the 1st and 2nd row (Captain seats), with Ottoman massaging function
- 7-inch touch screen infotainment system with 8 speakers, reverse camera and GPS navigation
- 10.2-inch rear seat entertainment system
- Digital video recorder
- Ceiling illumination
- Front and rear air-conditioning system
- 7-airbags, electronic traction and stability control (VSC, TRC), ABS, hill-start assist
Key features for the Toyota Alphard 3.5-litre (standard model) – RM419,900
- 3.5-litre V6 Dual VVT-i engine – 271 PS at 6,200 rpm, 340 Nm at 4,700 rpm
- Leather wrapped brown wood grain steering wheel Beige leather trimmed seats
- Beige leather seats
The Alphard 3.5-litre Executive Lounge – RM519,900 – adds the following features
- VIP wood grain leather-wrapped steering wheel with control switches for Bluetooth telephony, audio and voice recognition
- Ceiling illumination with metallic ornament
- Semi-aniline leather seats (beige or black)
- Airplane Business Class-style VIP power-operated 2nd row seats with Ottoman massaging function, stowaway table, power-extendable foot rest, control switches for seat adjustments and air-conditioner
- 8-inch infotainment system with 17 JBL speakers, GPS Navigation and reverse camera
- 9-inch rear seat entertainment system with Blu-ray
- Reading lamps
While the prices might be steeper than an equally-equipped grey-import model of the same manufacturing year, UMW Toyota Motor is keen to stress that the higher prices are justified with its localized GPS navigation system with local maps, English language infotainment system, better after-sales support with 5-year warranty (unlimited mileage), and improved reliability thanks to specific tuning done to the vehicle’s ECU to better cope with our local driving conditions.