Here's almost all you need to know about the 2016 Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI, ahead of it scheduled launch, sometime next week. Volkswagen Passenger Cars Malaysia (VPCM) have already started taking orders for the Jetta which is offered in three variants – Trendline, Comfortline and Highline.
Let’s start with what is new across the range. The facelifted Jetta will be powered by a new turbocharged and direct-injected 1.4-litre TSI engine which delivers 150PS and 250Nm of torque between 1,500 to 3,500rpm. The pre-facelifted model’s engine combined a supercharger and turbocharger, the new unit makes do with only a turbocharger, much like the VW Golf (Mk7) 1.4 TSI.
Power is sent to a new 7-Speed Direct-Shift Gearbox (DSG), replete with two driving programmes - Normal and Sport. Volkswagen claims the new Jetta will sprint from 0 to 100km/h in 8.6 seconds all the way to a 220km/h top speed while returning a frugal 5.0litres/100km on the combined cycle.
The new Jetta is officially recognised as an Energy Efficient Vehicle (EEV), Start/Stop and regenerative braking technology are significant contributors to this.
The safety suite across the range enlists six-airbags, Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and Hill-Hold Control and Multi-Collision Brake System (MBS). MBS helps prevent further accidents following a collision – once an initial collision is detected, MBS triggers automated controlled braking to a defined value and vehicle speed to prevent further collisions with the car in front or in the oncoming lane.
The key differences between the three variants of the Volkswagen Jetta are as follows:
Jetta 1.4 TSI Trendline
- 'RCD 220' radio, six speaker setup with USB and SD card
- Auto-dimming rear view mirror
- Zebrano decorative trim, Sienna fabric upholstery
- Reverse sensors
- 'Sedona' alloy wheels 6.5J x 16-inch alloys
- Halogen headlights
Jetta 1.4 TSI Comfortline
- 'RDC 330G', 5" touchscreen display, six speaker setup with USB, iPod Interface, Bluetooth and Mirrorlink
- Multi-function steering wheel
- Dual-Zone Climate control
- Auto headlights with ‘leave home function’
- Split-fold rear backrest
- 'Mambo' alloy wheels 6.5J x 16-inch alloys
Jetta 1.4 TSI Highline
- 'RDC 330G', 5" touchscreen display, eight speaker setup
- Black Vienna leather upholstery
- Bi-xenon headlamps with LED daytime running lights
- 'Queensland' alloy wheels 7J x 17-inch alloys
- KESSY - Keyless entry & smart start system
Perhaps all that remains to be known is the finalised prices of the new Jetta, Volkswagen had earlier announced a price range of between RM110,000 to RM130,000. The new Jetta is available in four colours - Candy White, Platinum Grey, Reflex Silver and Deep Black.