This marks the first time in two years that there has been a more affordable variant available for a Kia vehicle in Malaysia.
At RM118,888, the Sportage 2WD is RM18,912 cheaper than the 4WD variant which costs RM137,800. There seems to be no other major changes to the Sportage formula itself apart from the omission of halving the driven wheel count. Let’s go over what this new variant offers for your money.
Engine: 2.0-litre Nu MPI DCVVT inline 4-cylinder petrol
Transmission: Six-speed automatic
Power: 154PS @ 6,200rpm
Torque: 191Nm @ 4,70 rpm
EXTERIOR: The Kia Sportage retains its look in almost every department. The front fascia remains, as does the trim along sides and rear. What does visually differentiate the two variants would be the smaller wheels on the 2WD (17-inch) versus the 18-inchers on the more expensive 4WD variant.
- Projector-type headlamps with LED Position Lamps
- Front fog lamps and auto light control
- Bulb-type rear combination lamp (4WD variant gets LEDs)
- Roof rack without crossbar
- Electrically adjustable folding mirrors with LED side repeater
- 17-inch alloy wheels
INTERIOR: The 2WD variant of the Sportage retains many of the frills that were furnished on its more expensive brethren, including the premium Infinity sound system, rear view camera, keyless entry, auto cruise control, leather trimmed steering wheel, and a rear parking assist system. What remains ambiguous right now is whether the leather seats are retained.
The 2WD variant gets manual air conditioning controls over the automatic climate control and the driver’s seat is no longer 6-way power adjustable but instead is manually so. The futher list of interior features are:
- Meter cluster with trip computer
- Infinity audio system with radio/CD/MP3/AUX/USB with 7 speakers including subwoofer
- Rear view camera
- Electronic chromic mirror (ECM)
- Tilt and telescopic steering wheel with motor driven power steering (MDPS)
- Steering audio remote control with auto cruise control
- Keyless entry with remote folding key
- Front & rear powered windows with driver’s auto up/down and safety windows
SAFETY: So far as we can tell, the 2WD variant of the Sportage gains all the safety features that came with the 4WD variant. Headliners include twin front, side, and curtain airbags, electronic stability control (ESP), Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Hill-start Assist Control, and Vehicle Stability Management (VSM).
Of course, as we've reported on recently, Kia is lining up their all-new Sportage for 2016 which they plan to officially debut at the 2015 Frankfurt Motor Show in the middle of September. They have revealed the new generation to the internet, which among other things, wears a reworked exterior: