The third generation of Kia’s large SUV, the Sorento, has made landfall in Malaysia as part of Kia's renewed assault at the growing SUV market. The seven-seater SUV was launched today together with the smaller five-seater Sportage, which we are covering in a separate story.
Noteworthy is the decision to finally make diesel power available for selection alongside the 2.4-litre petrol model. Both engines are familiar units to our market; the 2.4-litre Theta II petrol is a carry over powerplant from its predecessor, whilst the 2.2-litre R turbodiesel has been in use for two model generations of the Hyundai Santa Fe.
Both engines are mated with Hyundai and Kia’s in-house 6-speed automatic transmission as standard, with drive going to all four wheels. Outputs are rated at 171PS / 224.6Nm for the petrol model and 200PS / 441.3Nm for the diesel. Auto start/stop is fitted in the diesel engine only.
Contrasting the line-up fielded by its sister car from Hyundai, the Santa Fe, Kia offers the Sorento with a selection of three variants with the more powerful diesel engine positioned as entry variant of the range. Pricing starts at RM155,888 on-the-road (with insurance and GST) for the 2.2 LS diesel varant with the following equipment:
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Halogen projector headlights, manual leveling adjustment
- LED daytime running lights
- Rear fog lights
- 3.5" TFT mono-colour LCD trip computer display
- Audio - 3.8" mono display, USB, AUX, 6 speakers
- Dual zone climate control, 2nd row air-con vents
- Fabric upholstery
- Tilt & telescopic steering with audio controls
- Cruise control
- Keyless entry, engine start/stop button
- Electronic parking brake with auto hold
- 6 airbags
- Electronic stability control
- Anti-lock brakes (ABS)
- Hill-start assist
- ISOFIX mounts
Further up comes the 2.4-litre petrol model in two guises, starting at RM168,000 for the MS trim variant, which carries the following additional equipment in addition to what’s offered in the diesel LS model:
- 19-inch alloy wheels
- LED tail lamps
- Multimedia infotainment - Radio, MP3, MP4, Bluetooth, Voice Command
- Reverse Camera
- Leather Upholstery
- Electric seat adjustment - Driver only
- Driver seat 2-way lumbar support
- 3rd row air-con vent
- Powered tailgate
- Rear door sun blinds
- Tonneau cover
Topping the range off is a higher grade HS version of the 2.4 petrol model at RM178,000 with the following additional equipment:
- Adaptive HID headlights, auto dynamic leveling
- 7" TFT Colour LCD trip computer display
- Alloy driving pedals
- Electric seat adjustment - Driver and Passenger
- Smart Parking Assist
Being underpinned by a monocoque frame, the Sorento competes directly against its sister car, the Hyundai Santa Fe, which comes with the same pair of engines. The 2.4-litre petrol variants also go against Mitsubishi Outlander and Nissan X-Trail 2.5.
As with all Kia models on sale in Malaysia, the Sorento is covered by a five-year unlimited mileage warranty.