Volkswagen Passenger Cars Malaysia is set to launch the all-new Passat B8 in the middle of this month, and order books are expected to open soon.
Prices have yet to be announced, but at the ongoing pre-launch media drive of the Passat B8, VPCM officials have confirmed that three variants will be on offer, powered by either 1.8- or 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol engines.
The new engines are the third-generation development of the EA888 family. Besides being turbocharged, they also feature variable valve lift and dual (direct & port) fuel injection to give a better optimized spread of power and torque across the rev range.
The 1.8 TSI engine is therefore not a carryover from the preceding B7 model but a significant redevelopment with uprated internals and components.
Outputs of the engines are as follows:
- 1.8 TSI: 180PS, 250Nm, 7-speed dry dual clutch transmission
- 2.0 TSI: 220PS, 350Nm, 6-speed wet dual clutch transmission
Organization of the line-up sees the 1.8 TSI appear in two trim levels – base-spec Trendline and mid-spec Comfortline – whilst the 2.0 TSI gets the full bells and whistles in the Highline version. Key features of the three variants are listed below:
1.8 TSI Trendline
- 16-inch alloy wheels
- Front & rear fog lamps
- Halogen reflector headlamps, bulb-type DRL
- Fabric seats – front with manual adjustment
- Engine start button, no keyless entry
- Steering-mounted controls
- Conventional instrument cluster with colour info display
- Parking sensors – front & rear
- 5-inch touchscreen
- Brushed metal dashboard trim
1.8 TSI Comfortline adds:
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- LED headlights with DRLs
- Leather seats – front with electric adjustment and memory
- Engine start button, keyless entry, handsfree boot lid opening
- Reverse Camera
- 6.5-inch touchscreen
- Reverse camera
- Park Assist 3.0
- Paddle shifters
2.0 TSI Highline adds:
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Active Info Display – 12.3-inch TFT virtual instrument cluster
- Wood dashboard trim
- Electric sunshade
- Satellite navigation
- Lane Assist
Safety is standard across the range, with all variants getting things like electronic stability control, hill start assist, anti-lock brakes, and ISOFIX mounts. The 2.0 TSI, accounting for its superior performance, additionally gets XDS+ torque vectoring for better cornering behaviour.
Follow this link for our sneak preview video of the all-new Passat B8 produced in collaboration with our friends from Autofreaks.com, Malaysian EVO, and Roda Pusing.