Following its recent introduction in Thailand and ahead of its upcoming launch in Malaysia, the facelifted 2017 Honda City is officially unveiled for the Indian market.
Available in five different grades including a new flagship ZX trim, the India market City is available with a choice of two 1.5-litre powertrains – petrol and diesel.
The petrol engine needs no introduction with our readers, being the proven SOHC i-VTEC unit inherited from the previous-generation model with outputs quoted at 119PS and 145Nm. It can be paired with either a 5-speed manual or a CVT.
The CVT comes with paddle shifters with seven ratios to work with. Interestingly, it is also more economical of the two transmissions on offer, with fuel consumption rated at 5.6 litres/100km as opposed to 5.8 litres/100km for the manual.
The i-DTEC diesel engine, on the other hand, generates 100PS and 200Nm, and is mated with a 6-speed manual transmission as standard. Official fuel consumption is quoted at 3.9 litres/100km.
As seen in the Thai model, the India market City offers an updated appearance featuring a redesigned front bumper with chrome grille and a more intricate headlight design.
Depending on variant, the India market City comes with the following features, some of which may or may not be relevant for the Malaysian market:
- LED lighting: daytime running lights, headlamps, fog lights, tail lights, number plate lights, spoiler-integrated third brake light.
- Two-tone alloy wheels – 15 or 16 inches
- Auto-folding door mirrors
- 17.7cm Digipad touchscreen infotainment with GPS, voice recognition, Bluetooth, 1.5Gb internal memory, USB (2x), Micro SD card slot (2x), HDMI-in, on-board Wi-Fi, Mirror Link
- Tilt & telescopic steering adjustment
- Engine start-stop button
- Auto-dimming rear view mirror
- LED interior cabin lights
- Rear adjustable headrests
- Up to 6 airbag
- ABS, EBD
- Auto headlights
- Auto wipers
For Malaysians, the new 2017 Honda City is officially open for bookings. Prices have yet to be announced, but Honda has confirmed an updated kit count that will see all variants offer keyless entry, engine start button, and electronic stability control.
Other features mentioned for the Malaysian market include multi-angle reverse camera along with LED-illuminated daytime running lights, head lights, front fog lights, and spoiler-integrated third brake light.