Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Launched In Malaysia - From RM103,390Buying Guides
About a month after Hyundai-Sime Darby Motors (HSDM) opened the order books for its first ever hybrid model in Malaysia; the Ioniq, the car was officially unveiled today, available in two variants.
- Ioniq HEV: RM103,390
- Ioniq HEV Plus: RM114,165
*Prices indicated are OTR with insurance
Powered by Hyundai’s 1.6-litre four-cylinder GDI Kappa engine and a 44PS electric motor, the car, which is a full hybrid like the Toyota Prius, produces a total output of 141PS and 265Nm of maximum torque. Drive is sent to the front wheels via a 6-speed automatic dual clutch transmission, while the electric motor is powered by a lithium-ion polymer traction battery.
Thanks to the powertrain package, claimed fuel consumption readings stand at 25.6 km/l.
Built on a new and dedicated platform, the base model Ioniq HEV boasts of a rather extensive list of standard features:
- ABS with Brake Assist
- Hill Start Assist Control
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Vehicle Stability Management (VSM)
- LED Daytime Running Lights
- 60:40 split folding rear seats
- Steering wheel audio control
- Keyless entry and go
- Cruise control
- Dual-zone climate control
- Park assist
- Rear view camera
- Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Black Glossy radiator grille
- Halogen projector headlamps
- Bulb-type rear combination lights
- Fabric seats
- 4.2-inch TFT LCD Supervision cluster
- Audio system with 5-inch LCD touch screen
The range-topping HEV Plus gets even more additional goodies like:
- Chrome radiator grille
- HID Bi-xenon headlamps
- LED Positioning lamps
- LED Rear lamps
- Leather seats
- 8-way adjustable driver's seat with 2-way lumbar support
- 7-inch HD TFT-LCD Digital Cluster
- Electro-chromic rear-view mirror
- Audio system with 7-inch LCD touch screen
- Automatic wiper
- Wireless charging for smartphones
- Blind Spot Detection
- Lane Keeping Assist System
- Lane Departure Warning System
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Autonomous Emergency Braking System
- Smart Cruise Control System
- Rain sensor
Measuring 4,470mm long, 1,820mm wide, and 1,450mm tall with a wheelbase length of 2,700mm, the Ioniq is similar in size to most C-segment sedans in the market. It is also worth mentioning that the car’s body is built with 53.5% advanced high-strength steel and lightweight aluminium.
First previewed to Malaysians in My Auto Fest 2016 held at MINES Convention Centre in May, the Ioniq is locally-assembled at the Sime-Darby Motors plant in Kulim, Kedah. Being a locally-assembled hybrid, it qualifies for tax incentives for locally assembled Energy Efficient Vehicles (EEVs). It also comes with an 8-year warranty for the traction (hybrid) battery, while the vehicle itself is covered by a 5-year/300,000km manufacturer's warranty. HSDM also added that once the lithium-ion battery's 8-year warranty period is over, the replacement battery cost only less than RM10,000 should it need a replacement.
And then, there is the 3-years/60,000km free service programme which includes parts, labour, as well as engine oil. Last but not least, the Ioniq is also offered with a 3-years Guaranteed Auto Protection (GAP) insurance - Should the car be declared as 'total-loss' within three years of ownership due to any unwanted incident, customers will be reimbursed fully (100% value of the car).
First introduced in March of this year at the Geneva Motor Show, Hyundai's Ioniq is the world’s first vehicle to offer three distinct electrified powertrains on a single, dedicated vehicle platform. The Ioniq is available in other markets such as North America as either an all-electric, hybrid or plug-in hybrid vehicle.