Local Mazda distributors, Bermaz Motor, is looking to bring the brand’s latest flagship SUV, the CX-9, into Malaysian shores. Managing Director Dato Sri Ben Yeoh revealed that evaluation units are already running on Malaysian roads and a launch date of mid-2017 is targeted.
Estimated to be priced in the RM250k ballpark, the all-new second-generation CX-9 benefits from a massively downsized engine from its predecessor to help lower its tax and insurance burdens. From the 3.7-litre naturally-aspirated V6 of the previous model, the new SkyActiv-based CX-9 embraces turbocharging to deliver 250hp and 420Nm from a 2.5-litre engine.
Based on the 2.5-litre engine that currently powers the Mazda 6 and CX-5, the new SkyActiv-G 2.5T engine incorporates what Mazda calls a Dynamic Pressure Turbo that enables high boost levels of 1.2 bar to be available at just 1,600rpm onwards, thus minimizing lag in response.
In keeping with the company’s established practice with SUV models, the CX-9 will be offered with a choice between front- and all-wheel drive variants with no equipment differentiation between the two models.
Bermaz plans to offer the CX-9 with very high level of kit that includes, among other things, the following equipment:
- 255/50 R20 tyres
- LED headlamps with bulb-type DRLs, LED tail lamps
- Remote-operated power tailgate
- Power sunroof with sliding and tilt glass
- Heads-up display
- Keyless entry, engine start/stop button
- Triple-zone climate control
- MZD Connect – 8-inch touchscreen, GPS navigation
- 6 airbags
- ABS, EBD, Electronic Stability Control, Brake Assist, Traction Control
- Autonomous emergency braking
- Blind spot monitoring
- ISOFIX mounts