The much-awaited roll-out of the locally-assembled W213 Mercedes-Benz E-Class in Malaysia is finally underway as the new Pekan-built units take over at the showroom from their German-built predecessors.
Benefiting from EEV incentives, the CKD E-Class enjoys a substantial price reduction enabling it to compete more keenly against an increasingly crowded segment that has just welcomed the Volvo S90 / V90 along with the all-new G30 BMW 5 Series. Like the E-Class, both the S90 and 5 Series were launched as CBUs with local-assembly set to commence later.
From the four-pronged line-up offered with the CBU models, the E200 and E250 models remain, but the range-topping E300 model is set to replaced by the E350e plug-in hybrid variant that was previewed at the launch event but will only be launched in Q3, priced below RM400,000. More on the Malaysian market 2017 Mercedes-Benz E350e here.
- E200 Avantgarde: RM348,888 (CBU: RM395,888)
- E250 Avantgarde: RM378,888 (CBU: RM420,888)
- E250 Exclusive: RM383,888 (CBU: RM425,888)
As before, the regular petrol variants are powered by Mercedes’ M274 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo engine producing 184hp/300Nm in the E200 and 211hp/350Nm in the E250. Mercedes-Benz's in-house 9G-Tronic 9-speed auto is the standard transmission for all variants.
Equipment levels of the locally-assembled E-Class are unchanged from their CBU counterparts, though the number of colour choices are for the moment reduced. Key features of each variant are summarized as follows:
- Paddle Shifters
- Carplay and Android smartphone integration
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Aluminium cabin trim
- Heated front seats with lumbar support
- Double sun blind, electric rear window blind, roller sun blinds for both rear doors
- Park Pilot (autonomous side and reverse parking)
- Reverse camera
- Adaptive High Beam Assist
- 19-inch alloy wheels
- Panoramic sunroof
- 360-degree camera
- Keyless entry
- Open pore black ash wood trim (Avantgarde)
- Brown high-gloss ash wood trim (Exclusive)
- Upper dashboard in Artico leather (Exclusive)