Volkswagen Passenger Cars Malaysia (VPCM) has officially unveiled the second-generation Volkswagen Tiguan in Malaysia. The new SUV from Volkswagen was earlier previewed here.
Two trim levels are offered here - the entry Comfortline and the range topping Highline. Both Tiguan variants are powered by the same 1.4-litre TSI mated to a six-speed wet clutch DSG dual clutch automatic transmission that delivers 150 PS and 250 Nm to the front wheels. The Tiguan is able to hit 100 km/h from a standstill in just 8.9 seconds, before reaching a maximum velocity of 198 km/h.
Safety kit is identical for both variants of the Volkswagen Tiguan, which includes :
- Six airbags
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Hill-hold Control
- Active Bonnet Pedestrian Protection
- ABS with Brake Assist (BA)
- Anti-theft alarm with immobilizer
- Central locking with SAFELOCK
- ISOFIX anchor points
- Multi-collision brakeCX system
- Front passenger seat belt reminder
Standard features in the entry RM148,990 (excluding insurance) Volkswagen Tiguan 1.4 TSI Comfortline include :
- Paddle Shifters
- 8" Composite Media infotainment system with Bluetooth, SD Card, USB and Aux-In functionality
- 8 Speakers
- Fabric Interior
- Rear air vents
- Multifunction Colour Display "Premium"
- Automatic Rain and Light Sensors
- LED Tail Lights
- Park Distance Control
- Black Roof Rails
- 17" Montana Alloy Wheels
Moving one level up is the RM168,990 (excluding insurance) Tiguan Highline. The range-topping variant adds these:
- 12.3" Active Info Display LCD instrument panel
- Leather Upholstery
- Interior Ambient Lighting
- 8-inch Discover Media infotainment system with Navigation, USB & iPod interface, SD card, AUX in, Bluetooth
- Climatronic 3-Zone Air-conditioning
- Cruise Control
- Rear View Camera
- Park Assist 3.0
- KESSY keyless entry and starting system
- Full LED Headlamps and LED DRLs
- Chrome Roof Rails
- Electric Tailgate
- Park Assist 3.0
- 18" Kingston Alloy Wheels
The Volkswagen Tiguan Highline can also be optioned with App Connect, which brings Mirror Link, Android Auto and Apple Car Play compatibility. This optional add-on is currently available at an introductory price of RM699. Normal retail price is RM1,099.
For those worried about the reliability of the Tiguan's DSG, VPCM has clarified that they have tested the Tiguan extensively on local roads On top of that, we also sampled the Tiguan ahead of its debut.
Priced at RM148,990 for the Tiguan Comfortline and RM168,990 for the Tiguan Highline, the all-new Tiguan with a 5 years manufacturer's warranty and 5 years roadside assistance. A total of five colours are available: Pure White, Atlantic Blue, Deep Black, Tungsten Silver and Indium Grey. The mentioned prices are retail, exclusive of registration, insurance and road tax.
VPCM is having a nationwide dealer open house this weekend (7-9 April), meant to highlight and feature the new Tiguan. Expect a variety of activities for the whole family, including the little ones. Food will be provided and guests can try out the new Tiguan.
Related link: Review: 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan 1.4 TSI – Last Chance Hero