The Malaysian Automotive Institute (MAI), in the run-up to their upcoming Malaysia Autoshow 2017 on 9-12 November at the Malaysia Agro Exposition Park Serdang (MAEPS), has announced the results of the Malaysia Car of the Year 2017.
A total of 27 awards were given away on the night, with the Honda Jazz Hybrid taking the Overall Car of the Year title after also winning the RM60,000 – RM100,000 Sedan and Hatchback category.
In addition to the main category awards, the Malaysia COTY also gave recognition to a number of cars through with a few special mention awards, including Good Design Award and Plug-In Hybrid Car of the Year for the Volvo XC90 T8, Hybrid Car of the Year for the Hyundai Ioniq, Top Export Car of the Year to the all-new Mazda CX-5, and Most Improved NVH for the newly-refined Proton Iriz.
Dato’ Dr Zahari Husin, Managing Director of Perodua Sales Sdn Bhd, was named Automotive Man of the Year, whilst the Tan Chong Group, for their combined efforts of bringing in the Nissan Leaf as well as a number of other Renault electric-power models, were recognized as Championsing Sustainable Mobility.
Overall list of winners are as follows:
- Automotive Man of the Year 2017: Dato’ Dr Zahari Husin
- Overall Car of the Year 2017: Honda Jazz Hybrid
- Good Design Award 2017: Volvo XC90 T8
- Plug-In Hybrid Car of the Year: Volvo XC90 T8
- Hybrid Car of the Year: Hyundai Ioniq
- Top Export Car of the Year: Mazda CX-5
- Championing Sustainable Mobility: Tan Chong Group
- Most Improved NVH: Proton Iriz
- Sedan and Hatchback Below RM50,000: Perodua Bezza 1.0
- Sedan and Hatchback RM50,001 – RM60,000: Perodua Myvi 1.5
- Sedan and Hatchback RM60,001 – RM100,000: Honda Jazz Hybrid
- Sedan and Hatchback RM100,001 – RM130,000: Hyundai Ioniq
- Sedan and Hatchback RM130,001 – RM160,000: Honda Civic 1.5 TC-P
- Sedan and Hatchback RM160,001 – RM200,000: Toyota Camry Hybrid
- Sedan and Hatchback RM200,001 – RM250,000: BMW 330e
- Sedan and Hatchback RM250,001 – RM300,000: Mercedes-Benz C350e
- Sedan and Hatchback RM300,001 – RM400,000: Mercedes-Benz E250
- Sedan and Hatchback RM400,001 – RM500,000: Mercedes-Benz E300
- Sedan and Hatchback Above RM500,000: Mercedes-Benz S400 Hybrid
- SUV and Crossover Below RM130,000: Honda HR-V
- SUV and Crossover RM130,001 – RM160,000: Honda CR-V 1.5 TC 2WD
- SUV and Crossover RM160,001 – RM200,000: Kia Sorento 2.2 Diesel
- SUV and Crossover RM200,001 – RM300,000: BMW X1
- SUV and Crossover RM300,001 – RM400,000: Mercedes-Benz GLC 250
- SUV and Crossover RM400,001 – RM500,000: Volvo XC90
- SUV and Crossover RM500,001 – RM700,000: Jaguar F-Pace
- MPV Below RM100,000: Honda BR-V
- MPV RM100,001 – RM160,000: Toyota Innova
- MPV Above RM160,000: Kia Grand Carnival
- Pick-Up Truck Below RM120,000: Toyota Hilux Double Cab 2.4G (4x4)
- Pick-Up Truck Above RM120,000: Toyota Hilux Double Cab 2.8G (4x4)
- Coupe and Cabriolet Below RM350,000: Subaru BRZ
- Coupe and Cabriolet RM350,000 – RM550,000: BMW M2
- Coupe and Cabriolet Above RM550,000: Porsche 911 Carrera 4S
All winners of the MAI Malaysia COTY 2017, as well as other models, will be on display and available for test drive at the Malaysia Autoshow 2017; a 100m off-road track will be setup specially for 4x4 models. There will be a number of new launches and previews as well. Entry is open to all members of the public, with tickets priced at RM10 each.
For ease of travelling, MAI has arranged a special promo with Grab offering RM8.00 off for two rides to the event venue with the promo code ‘Autoshow’. Upon arrival at the drop-off point, Grab passengers will additionally receive complimentary tickets to the Autoshow.