A crossover version of the A-Class, the GLA-Class is a highly successful spinoff from Mercedes-Benz’s compact car MFA (Modular Front Architecture) platform – the front-wheel drive/all-wheel drive platform that also underpins the A-Class, CLA-Class. Nearly three years after its initial debut in Malaysia, Mercedes-Benz Malaysia has given its GLA-Class a customary mid-lifecycle facelift.
As before, the fully-imported from Daimler’s Rastatt plant in Germany, and will be offered in three variants. Their respective prices are as follows:
- Mercedes-Benz GLA 200: RM239,888
- Mercedes-Benz GLA 250 4MATIC: RM269,888
- Mercedes-Benz GLA 45 AMG 4MATIC: RM408,888
Prices quoted are excluding insurance.
The most obvious difference in the new GLA-Class are the radiator grille that now features rectangular sub-elements within the twin-horizontal slats, redesigned front and rear bumper. The previous model’s bi-Xenon headlamps have also been replaced by LED units while tail light clusters are also new.
Where the previous model starts off with 18-inch wheels for the entry GLA 200 model before progressing to 19-inch ones for the GLA 250 4MATIC and 20-inch ones for the GLA 45 AMG 4MATIC, the new facelift model starts off with 19-inch ones for both the GLA 200 and GLA 250, albeit with a different designs.
The new GLA 250 4MATIC also drops the previous model’s Sport suspension in favour of off-road Comfort suspension. As a result, the new GLA 250 4MATIC also rides taller. The same setup is also mirrored in the GLA 200.
The new GLA 45 AMG 4MATIC will continue to wear the iconic 20-inch AMG design multi-spoke alloy wheels
Inside, the interior is still familiar but there are minor tweaks to the instrument panel – with the previous model’s white-faced dials now replaced by sportier looking black-faced ones.
The entry GLA 200 model will come with Urban Line trim package while the more expensive GLA 250 4MATIC will feature a sportier AMG Line trim package.
The GLA-Class’ range topping GLA 45 AMG 4MATIC model is dressed with the AMG Night packaged while its interior is trimmed in the AMG Exclusive interior package.
Engine and transmission
Mechanically, the new GLA-Class’ powertrain is largely unchanged. Under the bonnet is the familiar range of petrol turbocharged, direct injected engines.
The GLA 200 is powered by a 1.6-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine that pushes out 156 hp at 5,300 rpm and 250 Nm from 1,250 – 4,000 rpm. Drive is transferred to the front wheels via a 7-speed dual-clutch 7G-DCT automatic transmission.
Moving one step is the GLA 250, which is powered by a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder that pushes out 211 hp at 5,500 rpm and 350 Nm from 1,200 – 4,000 rpm. Drive is transferred to all four wheels, also via a 7G-DCT automatic transmission.
The GLA 45 AMG pumps out 381 hp at 6,000 rpm and 475 Nm from 2,250 – 5,000 rpm from the 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder, with drive transferred to all four wheels via 7-speed dual-clutch AMG Speedshift DCT-7 automatic transmission. The sprint from 0-100 km/h is dispensed in just 4.4 seconds.
Trims and standard features
As mentioned earlier, the GLA 200 is styled in a more conservative Urban Line package while the GLA 250 will wear the sportier AMG Line package.
The GLA 200 Urban Line comes with the following standard features:
- 19-inch 5-spoke light-alloy wheels in matt black with a high-sheen finish
- Off-road comfort suspension
- Aluminium roof rails in high gloss black
- Night Package – darkened exterior trim elements (side mirrors, rear diffuser, side mouldings)
- LED headlamps
- Adaptive High Beam Assist
- Semi-leather upholstery - Artico synthetic leather/black Maringa fabric
- Aluminium interior trims
- Automatic air-conditioning
- Power-operated tailgate
- Reverse camera
- Active parking assist
- 8-inch Media 20 infotainment system with support for Apple Car Play and Android Auto
- KEYLESS-GO starting function
The GLA 250 4MATIC AMG Line adds the following:
- 19-inch AMG 5-spoke light-alloy wheels
- Semi-leather upholstery - Artico synthetic leather/black microfiber DINAMICA fabric
- Illuminated AMG door sill panels
- AMG floor mats
- Additional off-road mode display on the 8-inch Media 20 infotainment system
The range topping GLA 45 AMG 4MATIC comes with the following premium features:
- AMG Ride Control sports suspension
- AMG Dynamic Select drive mode selector
- AMG Performance exhaust system
- 20-inch AMG multi-spoke alloy wheels
- AMG Night Package
- AMG Aerodynamics Package
- AMG Performance Seats with red Designo seat belts
- Black leather seats with contrast red stitching
- Artico synthetic leather wrapped dashboard
- Carbon fibre interior trims
- Nappa leather wrapped AMG Performance steering wheel
- 8-inch COMAND Online infotainment system with Harman Kardon Logic 7 surround sound system, support for Apple Car Play and Android Auto
- Panoramic sliding roof