An affordable all-electric vehicle is set to hit Malaysian roads soon; Chinese manufacturer BAIC has just previewed the new EV200 at the Malaysia Autoshow 2016 being held in MINES Convention Centre.
Available in both sedan and hatchback bodystyles, the EV200 is a B-segment-sized vehicle and is set to be offered with a selection of three rather amusingly-named trim levels – Relaxing, Showy, and Enjoyable.
The EV200 will be the first all-electric vehicle to be assembled locally in Malaysia, enabling to enjoy Government incentives with the promise of competitive pricing when it launches.
Powering it is a front-mounted electric motor with outputs of 53hp and 180Nm capable of propelling the EV200 to a maximum speed of 125km/h. Not particular fast, but sufficient to keep up in urban traffic.
Battery is a lithium-cell type with a rated capacity of 30.4kWh. In the New European Driving Cycle, the car has a rated range of 200km; 245km if you have the discipline to drive it at a constant 60km/h. We suggest caping your daily commute to no more than 100 to 150km.
BAIC claims that the batteries are durability-tested to retain at least 80% of its nominal capacity even after 2,000 charging and discharging cycle. In theory, the company further claims that this is good for an operating life cycle of 600,000 km or 10 years.
Equipment levels of the EV200 by variant are as follows:
- ABS, EBD
- Dual Frontal Airbags
- Seatbelt Reminder – Driver Side
- Rear fog lights
- ISOFIX mounts
- Side mirror – Electric Adjustment
- 185/65 R14 tyres, alloy wheels
- Multi-function steering wheel
- 6.2-inch LED combination instrument
- Fabric seats
- Audio – 4 speakers, speed volume compensation
- 8-inch centre control panel – MP5, navigation
- Automatic climate control
Showy Version adds:
- Seatbelt Reminder – Passenger Side
- Front fog lights
- Parking sensors
- Reverse camera
- Side mirror – Electric Adjustment, Electric Folding, Heated
- Auto headlights
- Audio – 6 speakers
- 8-inch centre control panel – MP5, navigation, compute display intercommunication, energy flow
Enjoyable Version adds:
- VIP cloud service
Pricing of the EV200 will be announced closer to launch. At the same time, BAIC will also be launching a regular petrol-powered version of the D20 which the company is aiming to price against the Myvi and Iriz in the RM45k to RM55k range. We are covering the D20 in a separate article here.