The proposal to increase toll charges by 30% does not mean approval, said the Finance Ministry on the matter.
Speaking to the The Sun Daily, Datuk Chua Tee Yong, Deputy Minister at the Ministry, said, “First of all, what was mentioned in the media was a leaked discussion. Having said that, no final decision was made, from what I understand. It was just a discussion.”
At this stage, the proposed toll hike is merely a suggestion brought up because of the agreement made with highway concessionaries and the government will consider all variables and options first before a formal proposal is put forth.
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak responded to the leaked proposal from the Works Ministry reported on June 12 as a “betrayal of trust” by members of the administration.
Last year in November, toll concession companies were compensated RM558.69 million after the government decided to delay the increase of toll rates for 20 highways across the nation.